As you know Steam is a digital distribution platform for purchasing and playing games. It was developed by Valve Corporation.
It provides the users with amazing features which include in-game voice chat, automatic updating of games, cloud saving and many more.
But, many times the users have probably face the Steam content file locked issue while updating games.
The reason behind Steam content file locked error occur as Steam can’t be able to update the gaming file on your Hard Disk.
But you don’t worry about it, this post is going to teach you each and every aspect of troubleshooting this error.
I would like to recommend some of the methods to fix the Steam content file locked error.
How to fix Steam content file locked error?
1) Repair corrupt files
The first method I would like to recommend you repair the corrupt files on your system.
Steam content file locked error may occur as there are corrupted files present in your computer.
Therefore to troubleshoot this issue, you need to repair the corrupted files.
Below are some of the troubleshooting method which might help you to fix this Steam content file locked error.
- The first thing you need to do is search for this file in the search box C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam which will take you to the Steam directory.
- The next thing you have to do is go to the Logs folder and open txt where you need to search for recent errors at the bottom of the text file.
- After that, you need to find the Root Folder of the mod.
- After you find the Root Folder of the mod, the only thing you have to do is restart the Steam and go the download folder where it will automatically ask you for an update.
- Update the files and your files will be repaired.
2) Check your Antivirus
The reason behind the Steam content file locked issue is maybe the Antivirus that you are using for protecting the system.
Therefore, it is better to check the Antivirus which you are using.
One of the easiest and most effective way to check whether it is an Antivirus issue or not is uninstalling your Antivirus software from your system and see whether Steam content file locked is solved or not.
To uninstall the Antivirus, go to Panel and uninstall it by right-click on the Antivirus Application.
I think this method would definitely resolve the issue.
If not please check the other methods.
3) Adjust Winsock
One of the main reason behind the Steam content file locked error is the Winsock catalog.
To resolve this error, follow this quick simple steps.
- The first thing you have to do type cmd in this search box which is present in the top right corner of the Windows menu.
- Immediately the Command Prompt window will open in front of you where you need to type netsh Winsock reset and press the enter button.
- Restart your computer.
Following this method will definitely resolve the error.
4) Shift tour Steam files.
If the above method doesn’t work for you, follow this method which will definitely work for you.
So let me tell you the steps.
- The first thing you need to do is navigate to the Steam Client and click settings. There you will find Downloads option where you need to click on the Steam library folders.
- The next thing you have to do is click on the Add Library Folder option where you need to select on the location where you want to Shift Steam.
- After that, Exit Steam Client and locate to the recent Steam where you need to delete all the files including folders except the SteamApps and UserData folder.
- The only thing you need to do is cut the folders and paste it on the new location which you have selected
- At last launch Steam and re-login.
The Steam content file locked error is one of unusual error you face while updating games on Steam.
Therefore this error should be fixed as soon as possible. I hope the above mentioned four methods will definitely troubleshoot the error.